Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pure Joy

The past couple of days have been hard mommy days.  Nothing major, just really tiresome.  I feel like all I have done is teach life lessons and put out emotional fires.  With hormonal teenage girls, a rambunctious boy who is set on aggravating everyone in the house, and  a little girl who thinks I don't like her anymore, I am just plum wore out.  I keep resting on the peace that God promises new mercies each day but I find that I am thinking that everyday, again and again .....and tomorrow I will too  :-)

As the mother of 4 and a pastor's wife, sometimes life just turns crazy.  Sometimes I can totally tell that it is the enemies attack on our family.  But sometimes it is just exhaustion, disorganization and mood swings that turn our house inside out.  Our family is a happy family and we enjoy being together..... most days :-)  But sometimes we get so used to our life that we miss the really special moments. I call those "pure joy" moments. 

The big girls volunteer at a local horse farm.  They LOVE horses!  They spend 4 hours a week working with disabled children and teaching them to ride. It is so cool that they get to spend time with the horses while doing something that has such value.  Yesterday we drove up to the horse farm and I caught a glimpse of one of the girls running along side a young girl who has autism.  Both my girl and the girl on the horse had smiles as big as the sky.  I really couldn't tell who was happier or having more fun. It was definitely a "pure joy" moment.  One that I would have missed had I been texting or running my mouth.  But God lined up my timing just right to see it. 

Last Sunday in church I was standing at the back of the auditorium and I saw one of our young volunteers standing with some of our elementary kids.  She (the adult) had her hands raised praising God during one of the worship songs.  She was oblivious to the little girl standing beside her who looked up and saw her hands raised and then gently raised her own.  In one small moment she taught this child that she has freedom to worship.  It was definitely a "pure joy" moment and I just happened to be standing in the right place to see it.

This past weekend we were driving downtown, we stopped at a red light and saw the backs of a couple holding hands.  Steven and I leaned forward to get a closer look and saw that it was a couple we know, who's marriage has been struggling. Almost at a loss for words, Steven quietly said,"God is good."
A "pure joy" moment. 

Time and time again God ordains "pure joy" moments. It isn't that the moment is for you or for them. But it is one of those moments that points straight to God. In this twisted, screwed up world that we live in, it is a moment where God kind of shows off. Not is a sunset over the ocean kind of way, but in a quiet gentle breeze kind of way.  It is almost as if for a small second our heart beats with the same rhythm as God's heart. Or time pauses and we are standing in the exact place created for us. Like when an entire room starts to applaud and at a certain point everyone is clapping together.  

So yes, life can be crazy.  It can turn upside down quickly.  But if we look out for those "pure joy" moments not only will we be sure to see them but we might just find ourselves in the middle of one.

~LL

No comments: