Monday, February 11, 2008

I must be gettin' old!

Last night Hubby and I sat down to watch the Grammy's. Now I must admit upfront..... I am not a huge fan of the Grammy's. Mainly because I don't know who anyone is. It is just a bunch of faces singing songs that "Hmmm, maybe I have heard that before". Now of course I have my favorites and I love to hear the legends but all in all I feel very clueless about the music industry.
Hubby, being a much bigger music fan than me, seems to enjoy this show a little more. He is like a kid in a candy shop when TRUE musicians show off their stuff. BUT, last night seemed more like a comedy routine to me. I was shocked at the lack of quality that showed itself on that "grand stage".
The best example of CRAP that was shown last night (IMHO) was Kanye West. This guy gets up on stage and "preforms" what I think was a rap. But it was filled with language (that had to be bleeped), really bad rhyming (a line about Let's get lost tonightYou could be my black Kate Moss tonightPlay secretary, I'm the boss tonight.) and then was followed by a song tribute to his Mama (that sounded something like an American Idol blooper). It topped it all off for me when West accepted one of his 4 awards for the night, his speech was rude, disrespectful, and he was a complete punk about it (and the crowd applauded him).
If I were to paint a picture of what the Grammy's should look like... I would imagine it to be a night of awwww. A point in a musicians career that they dream of. The opportunity to become "a Legend" by winning and the rest of the night is a specatacular concert event showing off what those "legends" look and sound like.
I guess I would have to say that the highlight of the evening was seeing Tina Turner. But even that was sad. She was paired with Beyonce. She sang a couple of her "greats" but then Beyonce came out. And then it just looked like an old lady trying to "shimmyand keep up" with this "booty, shaking, boob floppin', my butt is too big to fit in my outfit that would only fit a 6 year old, hair flyin', crazy dancin', preformer".

I don't know.....maybe I am being way tooooo opinionate about all of this. Or maybe I'm just gettin' old!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you are getting older, but Praise the Lord, not transformed to this world

Jenny said...

You are too funny! Great commentary. Have you heard of the bloggers that are going to Uganda for Compassion Intl to highlight the needs there? They are travelling now. You can follow their travels here: http://www.flowerdust.net and http://www.ragamuffinsoul.com/ and http://whittakerwoman.typepad.com. I thought you might be interested to follow them along.

becky said...

Right on sister! Ditto over here!

ocean mommy said...

That is so stinkin' funny. And I agree. The only artist I saw was Alecia Keyes and she was okay. But I was disgusted by the rest of it that we just turned it off.

And no you are not getting old. (Cause if you're old, I'm ancient.)

ocean mommy said...

I just realized I totally misspelled Alicia Keys name. Can you tell how "in" to the music scene I am?!!