Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I want them to be Warriors

I have almost completed my Esther study I have one week left. This past week touched on a number of different things but one stood boldly off the page.

One of the hardest parts of being a mother or a mentor is watching our children face a battle we can't fight for them. If God is going to raise our children to be mighty warriors of the faith, He must be free to teach them to fight. As hard as the process can be to watch, how can a person experience the exhilaration of victory in a battle they never had to fight?

When I read that the first time it stopped me in my tracks. I want them to be warriors. I don't want passive, lazy, apathetic children. I want them to FIGHT!I want them to fight for a God and faith that fought for them.
I often question, how much "parenting" is too much ...or not enough? I question when do I step in or do I let them work it out on their own? I am never quite sure. I quickly see that I need to pray more and speak less. Allowing God to show me where to act and where to be silent.
But this lesson brought my life into full view. In a matter of seconds I saw all of the major life trials I have had, and the amazing victories I have been able to experience because of them. If I had someone to fight those battles for me, I would never be the person I am. Or have the strength for the trials still yet to come.

God I pray that our children will be mighty warriors of the faith. I pray that the trials they experience will be amazing avenues to God sized victories. I pray that they will fight honorably and serve graciously. God help them to find strength in only you. And give us the wisdom to know when to speak and what to say.

1 comment:

Andie said...

I adore this prayer you wrote <3 You are such an amazing mother and warrior for Christ!