Monday, December 7, 2009

Pep Rally

Yesterday was another wonderful day at Lifepoint. One of my favorite things about our church is the opportunities that I have to be a part of something bigger than myself. I love serving! I love working with people! And most important to me; I love pointing people/children toward Jesus!

At Lifepoint, being a volunteer is HUGE. Without our volunteers Sunday morning wouldn't happen. It is because of the 300+ volunteers that it all happens the way it does. When you sit back and watch teams of Lifepointers interact with everyone who enters the building you can SEE why they do it. You can SEE how it fuels them and why they come back to do it all again the next week. I know that is how I feel. I can prepare and plan all week for Sunday. But it isn't until Sunday when the littlest of the Lifepointers comes bouncing into Dive; that it is ALL validated. It is the tiny smile on the face of a child who is finally able to let go of mom and come to me without crying. It is the parent who finds relief in handing over their child to someone that they have come to trust. It is comfort I find in knowing that God loved me so much, so I can love them the same way.

But........

The point of this blog wasn't to say why I love volunteering. The point was to tell you about the lesson I learned yesterday. I love serving God, my church , Kidspoint and supporting my husband so much that sometimes I get trapped. Now, mind you...I get trapped in my own cage of expectancy that I created and locked myself. No one can take credit for this one except me. :-(

Yesterday I was able to slip away and attend a church service. It amazes me how many volunteers (across churches) give up going to church to serve. I think it is partly because of their heart, but I think it is partly because they have created their own cage....and locked it!!! I know that in many churches (especially young churches) schedules are often hard to fill. Sometimes churches grow so fast it is hard to keep up with it, with volunteers. But sometimes it is simply because you don't ask and you don't go! You don't ask for help. And you don't go if you do get the help. The lesson I learned yesterday was how important going to church is. There is the DUH reasons for going to church, but I discovered the "PEP Rally" reason.

Let me ask this : Why do schools do pep rallies?
*To get everyone pepped up.
*To get everyone ready for the big game.
*To feel apart of a team.
*So that everyone can see that it isn't just the players on the field that are in the game.
*So everyone can hoot and holler for ONE purpose.

Well that is what I got out of church. Yes, I heard the word of God. Yes, I worshiped (and it was pretty awesome!) But even more than that....
*I got excited and pepped up.
*I am ready for what ever is next.
*I felt a part of the a HUGE team.
*It was nice to see everyone together.
*It was great to see that I don't play the game alone.
*Everyone together for One purpose!
Talk about fueling your tank!!!!
So volunteers....GO TO CHURCH!!!!
If you don't volunteer...... start. Be apart of something bigger than you.
.....but don't forget to go to church.

~L

1 comment:

brenna said...

Love this. I haven't been to church for a while (you know what I mean) but being at a youth conference recently and being able to sit through worship and the preaching - GREAT fuel for why I do youth!!