Sunday, February 14, 2010

Family Night- Valentine's Day (pt.1)

Great time with family night. Many years ago Steven and I kind of gave up Valentine's Day. It was always hard enough to go out on a date and SUPER hard to make that happen on V-Day. So we began focusing on making it special for the kids. We would do candle lit bubble baths, with chocolate, and their favorite food. The "men" would serve the "ladies" and things like that. We still did something special for ourselves with food (like:chinese, seafood, steak, etc.) and then would get a movie or something. This year I decided to make it Family Night. I hit the dollar store and racked up. We got a red table cloth, some plastic red wine glasses, candy, necklaces, candles, chocolate, stickers, and my favorite....fake rose petals :-) We stuffed the glasses with candy and sprinkled petals everywhere. Pey Pey was my little helper.


As I began cooking our speghetti and bread, Dad sat down and coached them through making Valentine's for each other. With markers, stickers, and some pre-cut hearts they went to work.



After Valentine's were completed and handed out...dinner was served. I wish I could say it was some grand spectacle of a meal....but it was just spaghetti. That seemed pretty Valentiney to me :-) After we ate we decorated heart shaped cookies. It is amazing to me how creative the kids get and how much they enjoy it. Dad included!




After we decorated and ate our cookie it was present time. Typically I wouldn't do gifts, because to be honest.....Family night was a "gift" in itself. But I had something special that I wanted to do for the Big girls so how do I give gifts to 2 and not 4? So I picked up a necklace for Pey, a little toy for Bear, and some treats for Steven.
For the Big Girls well.... that will have to be another post. I'm tired.

Good Night Valentine's Day! You've been fun!

~LL~

2 comments:

brenna said...

You have such great ideas! I hope to be a fun mom like you someday... :)

The Sobie said...

You can't leave use with a cliffhanger like that! Post! What did they get? Inquiring minds want to know!