Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Joys

Oh the joys of Easter. I grew up feeling like Easter was mainly about getting a new dress and the Easter Bunny visiting. I can remember specific dresses that I had and even some things that I got in my basket. I can even remember where they used to be hid. I am still not sure how my mom pulled off Easter Sunday morning. Getting us dressed, letting us search for the baskets, and getting us out the door to go to church. Even at my church growing up it was all about the clothing and a packed church. The pastor preached his best,the music was like a concert hall with full orchestras, choirs, etc. But it was done for the crowd. It wasn't because of the possible 1 chance we as a church might have to reach someone, but as the BIGGEST Sunday to preform. Seems pretty sad now that I really think about it and write it all out. But the truth is I loved that stuff as a child.
But, we (Hubby and I) have chosen to take a different approach to Easter. Normally the week before we tell bible stories about the events leading up to the cross. On Good Friday we try to do something special but this year we simply talked through what was "good" about Good Friday. Saturday night we attended a prayer and communion service to pray for what God was about to do on Easter. Then Easter morning came.....no eggs scattered, no fancy new clothes, no jelly beans down the hall, nothing. We got up and got dressed just almost just like normal. Except we put our game face on. I gave a pep talk on the way to church about what this morning could mean for hundreds of people. I talked about our attitudes not distracting us from the purpose of the day. I thanked the older two for choosing to volunteer an extra day without hesitation or complaint. And then I reminded them what Jesus did for all of us and how this morning was going to change peoples lives.
First service I sat with Baily and Shelby (which never happens b/c they are usually in their middle school environment). Music was off the charts. We sang about God's amazing grace and freedom. And the preaching...oh the preaching...was on the money. Pastor Daniel preached about King David and Mephibosheth. He talked about being crippled and being summoned by the King. He asked what cripples us and keeps us from coming home? It wasn't a typical Easter message about the cross, the tomb, the angels, the disbelief, the thorns, the last supper, the garden etc. It was a message to lead people to the cross. I loved it! The church day ended with over 1600 people attending, 300+ were kiddos, and hundreds giving their lives to Christ.
Easter is what you make it. Jelly beans, fancy dresses and chocolate bunnies aside....yesterday hundreds of people decided to "Come Home". Don't hear me wrong. I think you can have fun with Easter, without losing site of the real purpose. I just think it is a fine line that must be walked very carefully.


Thank you God for what you did thousands of years ago for our eternity. Thank you for your son Jesus who died a horrific death, taking on our sins, so that we can choose to live eternally with you. Thank you God for yesterday! We at LP saw mountains be moved and miracles happen. Thank you for calling us home.

Happy Monday after :-)

PS. We are going to D.C. today. YAY!my favorite thing to do. I will post pictures later. Gonna be a great day.

No comments: