Thursday, April 8, 2010

Enjoying It

Funny how life takes you in many directions. Sometimes it's a location, or a view point, or a schedule. But wherever I am...it seems that I don't stay there long. When we moved a couple of years ago we embarked on a change that I never saw coming. I went to work full-time and gave up my homeschooling journey to my husband. Don't get me wrong we are a team...yes...but it has mainly been my journey with our children. (He is the principal :-) God and I had some very frank conversations during that time of my life. He had moved us and I didn't like it. But slowly God began to open my eyes and soften my heart to what was happening around us.
He was once again, gifting us with grace. He had placed us in a job, a home, a life situation, and a new direction that we hadn't asked for. (Or did we?) Or prayer has always been the God will provide and take care of our family. In the "new direction" that is exactly what He was doing.....over and over again.

God has provided for us in countless ways. A home, a job, a new ministry, etc. We have learned to stop planning our direction and to be patient for His directions. We recently were able to purchase the home that we have been living in for the past 2 years. We didn't think we could buy again for a while (after the financial ruin we experienced when we left Maryland) but God has provided....again.

Over the past couple of months I have felt pressed to focus on the health of our family. We have been working out pretty regularly as family and now we have begun the food portion of being healthy. I guess that is where the whole garden thing really came from. I started reading labels and started finding myself pretty grossed out by what we were eating. I discovered that I can make things from scratch with just a little more effort and feel so much better about what I am feeding my family.

I laughed at myself as I was fencing off my garden. Who would have thought 6 months ago that this is the direction our family would be going? Organic food, exercise, and wishing I could have a couple of chickens :-). I can't help but to think that some how the garden and change of lifestyle is God's way of allowing us to start over. Fresh, new, rested, healthy.

Funny how life changes. I don't know what God has for us tomorrow, next week, or next year, but I do know this: I am enjoying NOW and whatever directions come next I will trust Him.

~LL

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool. Are you not allowed to have chickens there? I thought that would be neat as well. We are allowed to here but I am not that brave. :) Have you heard of the slow food movement? Here is a good blog you would enjoy... http://www.theslowcook.com/. Also, have you seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? You can watch it on hulu if you would like.

ocean mommy said...

I'm so proud of you for walking out all of this believing God had bigger plans.

Looking forward to hearing how the garden does! If we had space for one we would be growing more. There is nothing like making fresh salsa, or being able to walk out and pick a pepper to throw in your taco meat. :)

becky said...

watch food inc. it will strengthen your resolve! i am never eating another fast food burger for as long as i live! yick! miss you guys!