Saturday, November 15, 2008

Friend

What is the definition of Friend?

Webster says:
1 a: one attached to another by affection or esteem b: acquaintance2 a: one that is not hostile b: one that is of the same nation, party, or group3: one that favors or promotes something (as a charity)4: a favored companion

Facebooks says:
Your friends on Facebook are the same friends, acquaintances and family members that you communicate with in the real world. You can use any of the tools on this page to find more friends.
A judge ruled that friends on facebook are not REAL friends. (read here)

Friends Tv show
(Aired now by WB) Says:
A show about friendship... where your friends are your family.



Jesus Says:
John 15:12-15 (NIV)
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

John 15:12
The Message
11-15"I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.


My point....

There are many definitions of a friend. From giving your life....to....clicking a friend request button. The world obviously waters down the true definition of friend, quite a bit. We live in a society where friendship is a matter of convenience. It is all about "what can I get out of it". Once the friendship doesn't serve OUR needs, then we cut it off. But when Jesus talks about friendship he talks about it in a different way. He talks about loving your friends and even laying down your life for your friends. Jonathan loved David like his own soul. 1 Samuel 18:1-3
I guess my real point in all of this is that we should think before we call someone a FRIEND. My life has consisted of many people that I have called my friend, and I admit wrongly so. Many of these people fit the world's definition to a T. Their "friendship"has proven to be a demonstration of my selfishness (and insanity :-) I have titled them FRIEND because I was I needed something (known or unknown). Shame on me for putting such an important title on a person that could not fulfill the role.

It is said that "you can name your true friends on one hand"....I would agree. Our true friends have loved us more than I could ever have dream. They have stood beside us through it all. And they have invested in something that will last a life time. You have painted a picture of what true friends look like.

Thank you.
Phil.1:3-6
I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

The Sobie said...

I'm afraid to ask which side of that fence we fall on...

Whatever I did, it was Steven's fault.

Lindsay said...

Ha! You guys are definately on the true friend list. I hope you would always know that.