Saturday, May 2, 2009

Love

This week I stood on top of a mountain and gave a speech for all to hear.

Ok, so maybe it wasn't on top of a mountain, it was at my dining room table. And maybe it wasn't for ALL to hear. Only 2 twleve year olds.

But.....It felt much bigger.

They girls were fighting with each other (again). It was about millionth time I had to intervene on that day. So I lit into them. I was saying things like:
I know that sometimes we don't feel like being nice or happy. But that doesn't change how we are called to be towards each other. God calls us to love one another. Scripture doesn't say, "Please, maybe, sometimes could you love each other." It says,"LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Just as I have loved you." At this point they were just sitting there. Staring off into space.
I went on to talk about forgiveness. I told them that scripture says " Make allowances for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others." Colossians 3:13 Scripture didn't say "Forgive others when you feel like it." Or "Forgive others when your are in a good mood." Or "Forgive others when it is a beautiful day, you've had ice cream, you got a new puppy, your favorite song is on, and you're eating chocolate." Jesus, hung on a cross. Bleeding, unrecognizable, naked, completely innocent, and He still forgave the people who wronged Him. He forgave me, for putting him there.
NOW! If you think you are better than Jesus. And you don't have to forgive your sister, then you have bigger issues than I can work on at a dinner table.
____
The entire time I was giving my "Speech" I could hear a voice inside my head saying practice what you preach. " (now normally voices in your head can get you admitted to the psych ward.) But this time it was note worthy.
I don't know if our girls heard my speech. (that pre-teen spaced out look took over a couple of times) I pray they did. I pray that they heard 2 things. LOVE and FORGIVE. Both are verbs. Both require us to DO something. Both are commands.

*This week I have been following on twitter and blogs the Compassion Bloggers. What they are doing is LOVE. I think you could put them in any country with any kids and their hearts would not change.
*Another jewel I read is from a girl I work with. I absolutely adore her. She wrote a blog yesterday about love. She is passionate about the things that she loves and funny about the things that she doesn't.
*The Meridas-Friends of ours are in Ukraine right now adopting 4 children. Her blog has documenting their journey. They loved these children long before they ever met any of them.
*The Vlamings- friends of ours are adopting from Ethiopia. Her blog tells of a long, crazy, unfinished journey. A journey filled with joy, sadness, anticipation, worry, and waiting. But most of all it is a journey, not to find love, but because of LOVE.

God please be with these two precious families. As they are both in different stages of the adoption process. God please hold them tightly. Give them wisdom, endurance, health, and strength as they pour out your love on their new children. God help us to go and love others, because you love us. Help us to forgive because we were forgiven.

1 comment:

becky said...

you're the best. keep the prayers a comin'...we need them.
and keep on preaching to those girls! :) one seed at a time....