Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas 2014


Here it is!  My Favorite time of the year.  I LOVE CHRISTMAS!  Mainly because the traditions that our family does. Hanging special ornaments first, watching Polar Express, cookies, Momma watching while Daddy decorates everything :)  Each one of those traditions pointing to important things at center of our lives.  God, Family, Fun  :)

Each year we attempt to do Advent at our home.  Last year, I failed.  Tried to be faithful. But the crazy Christmas season got the best of my calendar and we did not succeed at doing Advent each night.  So this year I was determined to do better.  To be focused.  To have a "simple Christmas moment" each night that focused on the birth of our Saviour.  

I love the Jesus Storybook Bible  It has been a staple around our house for a number of years.  I fell in love with it as soon as I read it. I love that each story points to the glory of God.  In the past I have used the Jesus Storybook Advent plan. And that has worked out great. But our kiddos, as they have gotten older just seemed to be "tolerating" it, instead of loving it.   

But this year (after my failings last year).  I decided I wanted to change some things a little. So I started digging.  I saw many expressions of Advent in the home.  But by far my favorites all had to do with a Jesse Tree.
But then I started thinking. (Don't get excited, it can get a little scary when I think!) I wanted to do the Jesse Tree idea with my Jesus Storybook.  So..... I began planning,crafting and hunting.  I needed to find/make 25 ornaments for our kiddos to open each night.

Thus a new tradition has begun.  Each night we read our storybook and there is a box sitting in the middle of our advent wreath.  After we read, the kids try to guess what the ornament inside the box will be.  Then someone opens it.


I am shocked as to how much the Littles love this.  They will NOT let me forget. :)  It is also so wonderful the conversations that we have surrounding the ornaments that they open.  So at this point we have opened 4.  Here are some pics of what we have.
The Story and The Song
Psalm 19 and Hebrews 1
"The Heavens are singing about how great God is..."

The Beginning: A Perfect Home
Creation Genesis 1-2
Jesus Storybook-"In the beginning there was nothing. Nothing to hear. Nothing to feel. Nothing to see. Only emptiness. And darkness. And....nothing but nothing. But God was there. And God had a wonderful Plan.
....God saw all that He had made and He loved them.  And they were lovely because he loved them."
The Terrible Lie
Genesis 3
Jesus Storybook- "Just trust me,"the serpent whispered."You don't need God.  One small taste, that's all, and you'll be happier than you could ever dream..."



A New Beginning
Genesis 6-9
Jesus Storybook- "Noah," God Said. "Things have gone wrong. People have filled my world with hate instead of love. They are destroying themselves...and each other...and my world. "


In the beginning I thought this might turn into a stressful project.  Me....trying to come up with 25 ornaments....seemed like it could be "peace stealer". So day 1, I sat and said a little prayer asking for God to keep me focused on the reason behind my mission.  I asked for peace and joy as I walked this Advent season. Praying that His hand would guide this project and we would all see Him a little clearer.

So here we go.  Advent.  


I pray this season is full of old traditions that remind us of where we have come from.
I pray it is full of new traditions that allow us to see Jesus in brand new ways.
I pray that it is a season that reminds us of how the Light of the World came to chase away the darkness. But also one that builds great anticipation for His Return.









~LL

No comments: