Wednesday, October 8, 2008

9

I used to wonder when my marriage would finally be normal. You know when a couple gets to that point when they are past the mushy feeling, emotional roller coaster and real life begins. I used to long for a time to come when we would just know what the other was thinking without having to ask. A time when we could finish each other's sentences. In some ways I longed for a marriage that some might call dull and routine. I longed for that "old pair of jeans" kind of feelin'.

I know that one could do an entire thesis on my emotions and yes I could probably even land my self on a Dr. Phil episode (maybe even a full week) and he could "Dr.Phil" my emotions and feelings to death. I am sure He would use all of his one liners like:
“You can't change what you don't acknowledge.”
“We teach people how to treat us.”
“It's time to get real!”
“Are you doing what you're doing today because you want to do it, or because it's what you were doing yesterday?”

But the fact is... dull and boring was a fairytale that I was chasing.
But somewhere in the past 9 years I realized that we will never hit dull and boring. Maybe it was after the second set of twins that I questioned,"what is normal, anyway?" And I realized that real life is something that we have always had that is why it never had to BEGIN. Our marriage has always had that "old pair of jeans" feelin'. I just hadn't grown into them yet. After 9 years my jeans fit pretty good. And in fact I feel pretty sexy in them (hmm, where did that come from?? anyway...)
Though the past 9 years have not been the most perfect... but they have been a perfect fit for us. I could not have dreamed up the stories that we have lived through. (both good and bad) God has shown me that not only is He the God of all, the designer of everything, and perfectly loving, but He is also absolutely hysterical. He knows exactly how much we can survive and at what point we will be declared insane.

God , thank you for loving me enough to create someone for me to share my life with. Thank you for giving me a husband to love me through my past and to love me into our future. Thank you for giving me a best friend to endure all of the hardships of life . And thank you for giving me a husband to laugh at ...I mean with.







Steven,
Thank you for loving me for this short 9 years. Thank you for always laughing with me at this insanity we call our life. (and for laughing at my hiking boots that day) You truly are the other side of me. You keep me on track when I seem to loose my way. And most of all... your love paints a picture of how Christ loves the church. Thank you for living Ephesians 5:25-33. I Love you. Happy Anniversary.


25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."[c] 32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.


PS Sorry about the cheesey video. I was only after the song.

4 comments:

The Sobie said...

9 years! Holy crap you guys are ANCIENT!!

HA!

Happy annualversity. It's your last single-digit one (don't worry, our next one is nine, too).

ocean mommy said...

Happy Anniversary!

The weather here today reminds me of the weather 9 years ago under that bridge in Chattanooga. :) Time has gone by so fast hasn't it?

Hope you all get to go out for dinner...without the kiddos.

brenna said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys!!!