Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Give back Money

Back in January I posted about our church and generosity.
I have struggled since that day to find what God would have me our us to do with our money. I received $20 and the kids got $10 and $20. I kept the money in it's envelope in my purse for a while. BUt then I decided to take it and put it in my wallet. (so that when the moment happened, I would be ready.) I searched and searched. Should I give it to the homeless man with the sign on the street corner? Should I leave it as a tip for the waitress? Should we go to the homeless shelter and see if they need moey or materials? The list could go on forever. But nothing seemed to fit. They all seemed like easy outs. Not that any of them were bad things to do, but none seemed like the RIGHT answer I was looking for. I prayed,"God please put the person in front of me that you want to have this money." (but nothing) I prayed and prayed. (but nothing) I began to feel like what seemed like God's silence was really him asking me to wait. So I did.
1 week. 2 weeks. 3 weeks. 4 weeks. And then she walked in. A girl at my work who has been going through a rough time. I asked her how she was doing, and she sighed, "I'm ok." She went on to tell me that she had a hand full of change that she was going to use to put some gas in her car. I tried to not smile and jump up and down (after all that might have been a little weird. Not many people say "hey I have no money" and then someone gets excited.) I faught hard to control my joy and in my head I heard (ding ding ding ding! YAY GOD! Way to go! Yes, she needs money.) SO I calmly walked to my purse and pulled out a $20 and handed to her. She didn't know what to say. (it is not very often that I leave people speechless for GOOD reasons.)

The really cool part is that she attends our church. She too recieved an envelope with money in it. So when I gave her the money I said, "this is my "giveback" money. And you just gave me a great way to use it. "

(the story goes on)
Later that day she said something about not having bread in her house and some other basic grocery needs. (in my head... YAY! YES! YAHHOOOOO she needs groceries.) So I went to the phone and called home (in true ET style) I asked Hubby to talk to the girls about giving their money away. I asked him to explain the situation and see if they would want to use their "giveback" money to help this girl out. They said "YES". So I went and purchased a gift card that she could use for groceries. When I came back and gave it to her...she was dumbfounded. I stopped her from saying anything and said," This is not from me. It is from my kids. They wanted to help too." ANd then I ran out the door to go home. (Yes, some where in my sick crazy mind I was trying to disappear like a super hero. :-) I heard her say as I disappeared ,"who was that masked girl?" Ok just kidding she really didn't say that. But it sounded cool.

I have been so amazed at how stressed I became over $20. I desperately wanted to give it to the right situation. I prayed about it and looked for needs. I became very aware of all that was around me. I stopped seeing my life and started seeing others. I feel like over all I am a very giving person. I always want to help and strive to do good. BUt this task showed me that I am very self centered and focused on my little world.

Thank you Lifepoint for meeting people where they are and walking along side them as they change. Thank you for being a catalyst for change. Thank for being a tool that God uses.

Thank you God for allowing me to be a part of a community that is being changed. Thank you for changing me.

My question for you is... If you had $20 dollars handed to you and told that you had to give it away, what would you do with it?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
God alrady gave you the money. So give it away.

Matthew 6:19-21

19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Lifepoint Gives Back

3 comments:

ocean mommy said...

LOVE THIS!!!!! So cool....and I think it's even cooler that the kids got in on it too. I know that sweet girl was blessed.

brenna said...

That is just so exciting!! I had forgotten about it so it was cool that you filled us all in.

brenna said...

That is just so exciting!! I had forgotten about it so it was cool that you filled us all in.