Saturday, March 28, 2009

Routine

How much of what we do is just routine? Instead of making a conscience choice to to it.
Like praying before a meal, our devotion times, worship. What would happen if those seemingly routine things that we do became a conscience choice.
Do we sit down at dinner time and just throw up our "Rub a Dub Dub Thanks for the Grub, YAAAAAAAAAAY God!" or "Dear Eight Pound, six ounce,newborn baby Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just so cuddly, but still omnipotent" kind of prayer? Or do we sit and take a moment to truly be thankful for all that God has provided?

When we sit down at church tomorrow. Will we sit in the same seat we've always sat in? Will we sing the same songs we've always sung? And we will pass the offering plate like we always have? OR... Will we embrace the life of a new friend that we meet? Will we open our hearts and sing from the depths of our soul, in prayer and thanksgiving to a God who saved us from the pits of hell? Will we give generously because #1 He commanded us to. #2 Because He gave generously to us.

When someone is having a hard time, we routinely say "I'm praying for you." But do we? Do we actually go home add them to our prayer lists and PRAY?

When we throw up these "Oh Thank you Lord" here and there anytime something good happens,or anytime something bad doesn't happen. Are we really praying a prayer of thanksgiving? Or is it a "religious"way of saying YEEHAW glad something bad didn't happen.

"Oh thank you Lord that lightening didn't strike me." (translation) Yeehaw! That one just missed me.

My point is: Routines are good sometime. They help us to stay in shape, eat healthy, hygiene, etc. And routine are great because sometimes God uses them to pull us along when our flesh is weak. But routine can cause us to mindlessly encounter our lives. Or better yet... Routine can cause us heartlessly (is that a word??) encounter our lives. Does God hate routine? I don't know. But I know that when routine runs everything, I routinely miss God.

God I pray that you will allow me to encounter you today. I pray that you will help not to be routine in my walk. Help me to be intentional. God help me to guard me tongue. Help the words of my mouth only point people to you. Thank you for giving us a mind that will use routine to keep us focused when things are chaotic. But God I pray that routine will never take the place of you.


Come, let's shout prises to God, raise the roof for the Rock who saved us! Let's march into His presence singing praises, lifting the rafters with our hymns! And why? Because God is the best, High King over all the gods.
Psalm 95:1-3 The Message

No comments: