Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A New Journey -1

A have hesitated for a while about sharing this story, simply because it involves alot of people. I am always cautious to write about other people because sometimes people can get offended by silly things. :-) So as I write this story I do so cautiously. I pray that if you are someone in the story, you will be flattered that I wrote about you and enjoy that you are a part of MY story and a journey that God has graciously allowed me to travel.

A couple of months ago I sat down and wrote a blog that I couldn't publish. I just desperately needed to write down how I was feeling. I have now come to realize that the events that led up to that blog, were only the first steps of an amazing adventure that is only beginning.

Here is that blog:
Yesterday morning I woke to my alarm. My first thoughts were, "God I know I need to get up...but I can't. Please help!" Struggling to get out of bed, I heard my phone buzzing in the other room. I quickly learned that a friend in our life group had lost her sister in the night. In the next hours our Pastor's wife and I would sit beside a grieving 23 year old and her family. Her 21 year old sister died in a car accident during the night. I won't try for even a moment to imagine the grief and loss that this family is feeling right now. I won't express "hallmark phrases" to try and ease or understand their pain. Because I know that I can't.

As Tammy (our Pastor's wife) and I drove to her apartment we were praying for her. I prayed that God would wrap is arms around her and that she would feel his peace and love. I prayed for wisdom and strength for the family is they walked this unimaginably hard road. Both Tammy and I knew that our job over the coming hours would be to love and to listen. We didn't need BIG answers or the "right" words, we knew that God would take care of that. We sat with our friend for a while and God showed himself in incredible ways. Our friend talked about her sister and her life. But then she said something that has profoundly impacted me....she said,"I know that my sister is sitting with Papa (the Shack reference), Jesus is sitting beside me, and the Holy spirit is inside holding me up. She talked about how God has been showing her of a relationship that she can have with him like the one of Papa and Mack in the Shack. She said," And now I know why, He knew that I would need him to sit on the bed with me today." She said that this morning she felt like she could feel Jesus, with his arms wrapped around her, holding her.
Last night as I laid in my bed I was so overwhelmed with the goodness of God. I was overwhelmed with the sacrifice that people have made in order to bless others.
A day has passed and we have seen people from all corners of our church and other churches come together to embrace them. We have seen God move mountains with broken relationships. And we pray that the lost might be reached through this tragedy.

You know how you can see your breath outside when it starts to get cold? I imagine that the events of the past days are what it looks like when God breathes.

My heart is overwhelmed again as I re-read what I wrote on that day. I think I will stop and continue writing tomorrow. As I think back over that unbelievable day in September I see that Heidi's death was a catalyst that started a chain of events in my life that has forever changed my faith. The amazing thing is I have never met her. One day I know I will be able to hug her and tell her Thank You.



Phil 1:6

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

No comments: