Thursday, August 16, 2007

Make your own history

It is a daunting thought when we step back from our lives and realize that we are creating our own history. When we look at our every move, realizing that each little detail is being etched in to the history of the world and our lives. We are writing our life story. If I my book were complete today I am sure the chapters would be something like: 1. Childhood-The age of innocence and imagination. 2. Tween years- Growing into my stupidity. 3. Teenage- Arrival at Destination Stupid. 4. Forgiven- A time God showed me where He'd always been. 5. Ministry- Living on Faith.

But all of that to say,"Thank God my book isn't finished yet". (at least not at this very moment). Looking back over what my life had been. The history that I have created. I realize that it is MY history that has shaped me into me.

I heard a speaker once talk about the "push backs" in life. He was referring to how an airplane is pushed back from the terminal in order to take off. Push backs being negative events that God uses to spur you on towards His purpose. I LOVE this analogy. Because I have had MANY push backs in my life. People or events that God has used in order to push me back so that I can take off full speed. My heart is always burdened for people who can't get past their own past. God has such a beautiful future that He is painting for us. He has so much that is promised to us, here on Earth and in heaven. But so many times we can't get past that hurt in our lives, to embrace these gifts. How many relationships to we allow to stay broken simply because pride will not allow us to heal? How many dreams do we not chase simply out of fear of failure? How many people do we hurt because we see them through human eyes instead of God's?

As we go today and "make our history" I pray that we will heal from our past. I pray that we will have grace for those who can't. God I pray that you will help us to love those that are hurting. Help those people to step out of the painful histories that the have created and to embrace the abundant future that you want for all of us. God forgive us when we don't see people with your love and your heart. Help us to make a history that matters and forgive us when we fail. Please walk with us every step.


Phill. 1:9 So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well.

1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

"2. Tween years- Growing into my stupidity. 3. Teenage- Arrival at Destination Stupid."

Okay, we all do stupid stuff in the tweens and teenage years, but from someone who watched you go through these years, it wasn't ALL stupid!!! :)