Wednesday, August 1, 2007

First day of school

Yesterday we began our second year of homeschooling. Last year was great. We had a few challenges, like moving and traveling. But all in all it was great! There are some little things that I decided we would not do again, and some other things that we would keep. It made my anticipation for this year high. I have been very excited to throw off the boredom of summer and dive into a structured day full of learning.
I must admit.... I am not one of those die hard homeschooling moms. I don't wake up everyday trying to find something new for my children to learn. But... I does really excite me to see the girls light up when they learn something interesting. Or they find a new interest that they want to learn more about.
We decided to start back to school in August for a couple of reasons. #1 Because we have a number of trips planned between now and Christmas. #2 We don't school on Mondays. So our school week is shorter. We have chosen to not school and Mondays again this year due to our hectic schedule at church on Sundays. What an amazing break God provides for us with a Monday off. We get to truly rest and enjoy each others company without any added things to do.
I wish I could paint you this beautiful picture of a perfect first day of school. One filled with my children bouncing down the stairs ready for the next chapter of their school life to begin. A picture of kids full of excitement wanting to see what would be different or the same this year.
Our day was not a picture perfect day. But it was a good one. Our day did not take off with excitement but it ended with it. We heard, "I hate homeschooling." But I also heard, "Wow Mom, this is neat about the Gettysburg Address."
I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to experience life with my kids. Many times I have been asked why we home school. And I must admit that my answer changes day by day. Sometimes we home school because of some horrible story we see on the news. Sometimes we home school because the public school system is less than ideal. Sometimes I am not even sure why we home school. But when those days come I am quickly reminded of home much I enjoy spending my days with my children. Experiencing life through their eyes. Walking with them as they discover the blessings of God. And sharing the joys and heartaches of family together.


I am so thankful to my dear hubby who puts up with my insanity on a daily basis. But also because of the support he gives. Somedays I can't tell you which way is up. He is my rock when I feel like I can't do it anymore. On a daily basis he shows the love of Christ by dealing with me. ;-) Thanks Honey!!

1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

:) We add the rest of our courses on the 13th and I am looking forward to it.

Glad to hear your first day was a good one. It doesn't seem as massive this year does it? I'm much mor relaxed this year than I was last year.