Friday, July 27, 2007

Share The Well

Everyday I have a heavy burden for foreign missions. God placed on my heart many years ago, a desire and longing to be a part of world missions on some level.

Maybe it is because I long to be in a society that values people not the material things that they have. Maybe it is because I long to be a part of a world that is not distracted by itself. Or Maybe it is because I long to be a part of something pure and basic. Like sharing food, sharing water, sharing Christ.

Everyday we wake up for different purposes. Some of us get up to workout, some of us get up for our kids, some of us get up for our jobs, and some of us don't get up. No matter what your reason for rising with the sunshine, most of us will never have to experience a life without opportunity. Our children will not have to wake up and go to work instead of playing in the back yard. Most of us will never experience "true struggle". Where we are not sure where we will sleep, eat, or if we will live through the night. 57 Million people died last year because of starvation, 10.5 million of them were under the age of 5. It is estimated that 35,000 children are orphaned every day because of the HIV/Aids epidemic. 5,000 children a day are dying from diarrhea because they do not have access to adequate sanitation and clean water.
I don't state any of this to make anyone feel guilty. I guess I say it so that you can become empowered. So that you can wake up tomorrow and think differently, want to do more, or even act. Many people are being called to change the world by GOING, some are being called to change the world by ADOPTING, some are called to GIVE, while others are called to PRAY.

One of my favorite songs is called Share the Well. It makes me question what my "well" is. Is it my heart, my pocket book, my home, my family, my life?
God didn't call us to save the world, Jesus took care of that. But He did call us to change it.

Matthew 5:14-16
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.


1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

Good insights. Go to the LPM Blog and read about the trip they are leaving for today. It will excite you I promise.