Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sundays

It has been a little while since my last blog because things have been nuts around the house. I have been out of commission with an unexplained illness. It took me 3 1/2 days to finally get back to a functioning human being again. (Notice I didn't say back to normal. Because you and I know THAT will never happen.) I don't think that house would have survived had it not been for 2 ten year olds who really stepped it up and ran things for me. The first two days they did almost everything with the babies, while dad was at work. The last day dad was able to be at home with us and take over so I could stay in bed.

Now that things are back on track and I am feeling better, life is good. I have missed my walking, prayer time, and devotions over the past 4 days. It shines a new light on the phrase "getting up on the wrong side of the bed". Getting up on the right side for me, is spending it in prayer and quiet time. Being able to go outside and enjoy the morning air, all the new baby bunnies, and the new morning sun ( oh yeah, and when it is warm....the smell of chickens, nasty dirty, stankin' chickens) is a great way to start a day.

This morning has proven to be very challenging. #1 It is Sunday. #2 It is Sunday #3 (you guessed it) It is Sunday. Sundays are always a little rough because of our commitments at church. The rush to get everyone up and out. yadda yadda yadda. But one thing that normally happens is, the devil shows up. I always tell the kids that he works over time on Sundays just to discourage everyone. He knocks on our door almost every Sunday morning. Sometimes he waits on us to get to McDonalds, and sometimes he even waits on us to get all the way to church. But....believe you me, he is always waiting to pounce.

Well this morning was no different. This morning the devil decided to wake me up at 5:45. Now please don't get me wrong, I am not calling my beautiful, precious, darling 2 year old boy, THE DEVIL. I am simply saying the sometimes in our lives the devil can use us to negatively effect those around us. When your child opens their bedroom door at 5:45 and begins to scream about wanting to watch Barney, eating a waffle and drinking apple juice, while you are running down the hallway, half dressed, one eye open yelling (in a whisper) for him to HUSH!! THE DEVIL IS SOMEWHERE IN THAT HOUSE!

Funnies aside. I was discouraged this morning because fitting prayer time and devotion time into the craziness of the morning seemed like it wasn't going to happen. But quietly and calmly, my morning peace, woke up this morning in the form of a ten year old. My gently spirit B came down stairs and sat with her little brother and sister while I had 5-10 minutes on my porch. Most every Sunday I can name you the places that the devil showed up and tried to frustrate, discourage, aggravate,me or our family. But I can ALWAYS show you the places that God was too. He is just not so demanding and in your face. Sometimes He is in the willingness of my child, the kiss of my husband, or his quiet supportive smile when I needed it the most. Sometimes I find Him in a schedule that goes on without flaw, or a child that just needs a hug. But no matter where God chooses to reveal himself to me each day, I know that He is there. Waiting to hold me when I am discouraged, aggravated, or frustrated. Because it is through those tough times that I reach for Him the most, long to be picked up and held and renewed. Sunday's are tough. They always have been, but we appreciate Mondays because of Sundays. (Hmmm- Maybe hope really is born out of suffering.?!)

Remember to pray for your ministers and their families every Sunday. They need it!!! Pray that they find a strength that it supernatural. Pray that they feel God's Hand on their back pressing them on. Pray that they always remember in a way that rejuvenates them and gives them focus.

1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

Hmmmm, an unexplained illness. Sounds like the enemy may have dropped that on you too. Funny how that happened just as you're getting into that consistent routine of prayer walking and Word study in the morning.

Glad you're feeling better. (This also explains to me why you've been on my mind so much the last few days. Sorry I didn't call!)