Saturday, December 15, 2007

Standing alone

As the Christmas season has wrapped its arms around all of us I have been addicted more than ever to blog reading. I love hearing the traditions that people participate in and create. My heart is touched to read that people really do still know the true meaning of Christmas. People truly realize that the birth of Christ was the beginning of an event that would play out for the rest of eternity. One blog I read is Losses and Gains and she wrote a particularly beautiful blog about her father (click here). Other blogs have challenged my heart, made me cry, and made me laugh.

Christmas is a time that really joins the hearts of people. It seems like all over the world there are people who are striving to make a difference. As I read and watch I am so encouraged about the heart of people. One thing that I am being challenged with this Christmas is how to deal with this chip on my shoulder. I would love to lie and say that it doesn't exist but it would be just that, A LIE. I carry a chip on my shoulder against people who focus on the materialist side of the holidays. I find myself saying (to my self) "Wow! can you believe that they are spending that on __________?"

"Do they not know that there are children who will die today, because they won't have anything to eat?"

" They could feed a 3rd world country for what they spent on __________. "

I recently saw a video of the President of SouthWestern Baptist Theo. Seminary's house. It is this big to-do at Christmas time. The had trees decorated in every room. With themes from all over the world. People gave up free time to "volunteer" to help decorate. These "volunteers" were proud of all of their hard work and all that they had done for this house. (View Here)
When I think of "volunteering" at Christmas time. I do not think about going into the home of someone who has plenty of money, plenty of food, and WAY TO MUCH TIME, and decorating it. I think about the needy, hungry, the less fortunate.
But here I sat with my chip. I watched the video, all the while being appalled by the $$ and the time that was spent on image. I watch the video wondering if the trees that they have decorated with ornaments from around the world remind them of people. People who have nothing. Nothing to eat, nothing to drink, nothing to sleep in, and definitely nothing to put on a Christmas Tree, much less something under it.

And then I a reminded of some wise words that I read recently. I want to copy them below so that you will be sure and not miss them. This is from another posting on Losses and Gains. These words have forever impacted my Christmas now and to come.


The house is quiet now. Completely, and utterly still. I have been needing this quiet all day. Not because I have needed rest from the noise of my family, but because I have been feeling burdened by the noise of other viewpoints, other perspectives, other versions of what is supposed to be a shared experience. I don't doubt that most people come by their personal views honestly, and with good cause. It is not the grieving, or the lonely, or the broken hearted that I wish to quiet. But there are those who seem to thrive on grumpiness, on complaint, on indignation. The truth is that I am tired of hearing that Christmas is too commercial, too secular, too Americanized, too meaningless. There is validity to all of those arguments, and a mound of evidence behind each of those complaints. But if I allow myself to go there, to join the chorus of discontent, I am the one who will be shortchanged. If I give my energy to hand wringing and fist waving, then I only have less to give to story reading and bedtime prayers. If I grumble and roll my eyes every time I see a Santa mixed in with a nativity scene, then I might miss seeing my daughter's eyes sparkle with delight over every string of lights flung across a bush or rooftop. If I fret and worry that there is no possible way we can pass on our faith to our children without whisking them away to a cave in the mountains, then I have already given in, given up, and the message of Christmas really will have been lost.
I really do understand where people are coming from when they decry all that Christmas has become in our culture. I just can't join in the fray. I need quiet, and prayer, and contemplation, and music, and stories, and laughter, and maybe even some tears. And, for me, the answer isn't to fight the culture, but simply to stand outside it wherever I can, in whatever ways I need. Right now, that might mean a little less blogging and a little more being. Maybe.

I love it where she says, "And for me the answer isn't t fight the culture, but simply to stand outside it wherever I can, in whatever ways I need." WOW!!! These words cause me to lay my chip down. They take the FIGHT out of me. They bring new meaning to "Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me." I am forever humbled.

Bottom line is that one day we will all stand before our King and be held accountable for our lives. It will not matter how my neighbors lived there lives. Or how "The Hat" at Pecan Manor decorated her house, and who spent the "volunteer" hours there. I will stand alone and all that will matter is me and what I did. I pray that as I stand at the feet of the God Most High, that He will be proud of me, his daughter. I pray that my choices now will always reflect His heart.

God help me to not get caught up in what everyone else is doing. Please help me to not judge others for what they are or aren't doing. Help me to not fault others for not having the same passions as me. God please help me to show grace to others, just as you have shown it to me. On that wonderful day, where I stand alone before your thrown, please have mercy on me. Please hand out grace to me one last time for not doing all that I could in all of my days. In the days that I have here on Earth please pave a road for me that guides me to do much for those that cannot do for themselves. Thank you for your unending grace and Love.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Wow. I hardly know what to say. I am deeply touched that my words meant so much to you. I still find it amazing that anyone even reads my little missive.

I think you hit on the conundrum we all face though. How do we allow ourselves joy, and even abundance, while still being mindful of those who have so little of either? I think that has been a question for the ages. I don't have the answer but I don't believe God's will is deprivation for all. Or, a sort of "All for none, and none for all!" mentality. So while I do think we need to live in moderation so that we can share our resources with others, I do believe that God can still be glorified in the celebrations of our lives. At least, I hope so.

Thank you for your thoughtful words.

ocean mommy said...

I think in this season of your life God has so tendered your heart for others who are less fortunate. You and Steven have a heart for missions, and I fully expect a phone call saying "God's moving us to _____ (fill in the blank with any 3rd world country." :) And we will be there cheering you on every step of the way.

I think sometimes when your heart is so heavy in this area, it's easy for satan to almost use that passion against you. He sneaks in and starts by planting, as you described a "chip on the shoulder". Be very careful that you don't allow the enemy to rob you of your joy! God has great blessings for you this season. Some seen, some unseen.

I love you and I'm so proud of the young woman you've become. Hang on tight, God's got one wild ride for you all. I can't wait to see what's next.

steph.

Lynn Stallworth said...

What wonderful insight and what a beautiful post. You are quite right, we should worry only about ourselves because we will be standing alone before the Lord. I find that my views on what I want my Christmas to be with my hubby and kids are often at odds with that of my own family: sisters, mom, etc. My twins don't need anything this year, they don't know what's going on. But, my mom makes me feel guilty if I don't "make it special" for them. Her idea of "special" is lots of gifts under the tree. I resent that in a big way. I don't tell them not to spend all the money they do on things not needed, so why does she make me feel guilty for not spending the money and bringing back the true meaning of Christmas into my home? I guess that just goes to show you, we all have to do what's best for us and our families. Listen to our own convictions and not worry about everyone else's. And as for my mom's intrusions, well, that just makes me hold on to my convictions even stronger.