Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Stepping out of the boat

Why did Peter want to walk on water with Jesus?

Was it so that he could check that off of his "Things to do before I die" list? (Sky dive, African Safari, Walk on water, Learn to surf, get a tattoo.) Was it so that he could impress his friends, or be able to tell his grand kids? Was it so that he would go down in "the book" with the great feat of water walking?Or was it because he so desperately wanted to be beside his Lord Jesus, that he was wiling to do anything or attempt anything to get there? Even if it meant that he would die trying. He didn't care how crazy it seemed or dangerous, all Peter knew was that His Lord was calling him to come and he was going.


Wouldn't it be grand if the last one was true for all of us (including Peter)?

I wish that every time God was calling me closer to Him that I would be willing to jump out of the boat. Not weigh out my options. Not look around me to see what people will think. Not be scared that I might fail. Just Jump! Head first with all my might.


Matthew 14:28-29 Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water."
30He said, "Come ahead."



We all know what happened next. Peter stepped out of the boat and began to walk to Jesus. But then "life" happened, and Peter got scared. It was one of those times where everything seems great and you are on top of the world (or water). And then in slow motion.....everything that could go wrong passes through your mind. He probably thought "Holy Crap! I can't swim! I could die! I'm walking on what? Maybe JAWS will eat me. Can Jesus swim? Does he have an extra life vest?" And then he began to sink.

The moral of the story.... Loose focus and sink!?! Maybe. Or maybe the moral is.....Humans can't walk on water so don't be stupid and try.

With each new step in our walk with Christ we are asked to trust that God will make a way. Some days are definitely easier than others. On days that my faith is weak I feel stupid for trying to walk on the high seas of life. But other days I rest in the loving arms of my Father, who holds me above the waves. I pray as our family steps out of the boat in our next adventure that we will not loose focus. Though we may look stupid for the things we do, I pray that each of our days are lived pointing people to Christ.

God hold us high above the waves. But if we do begin to sink, forgive us for our unfaithfulness and thank you for your mercies that are new everyday.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Lindsay...I don't think you're stupid, I'm just going to miss you!!! But I am convinced that God brought you to us for a purpose and His timing is always perfect---so if He is calling you to move on then He will see you through every step of the way!

ocean mommy said...

You do not look stupid for doing what God tells you to do! And if ANYBODY tells you do, you send them to me and I'll put them in a holy headlock until they repent of their evil ways!!!! Just kidding, I'll just let my karate kids beat them up. :)

By the way, there is a little something for you over at my blog.

love you
steph.