Thursday, July 24, 2008

Good and Evil

James 1:17
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

This is one of those verses people like to use, alot. It is a Velveeta verse. It is one of those verses that anyone could use to try and look "churchy". Velveeta you can throw it on just about anything and use it to cover what is underneath.
I could see part of this verse on a billboard, next to an angel holding a chocolate bar.
Just use Google images and type in all good and perfect gifts and you'll get my point.

As I sat today and read a little more from The Shack, I was confronted with this:

Excerpt from "The Shack"

"Let me begin by asking you a question. When something happens to you, how do you determine whether it is good or evil?" (Being asked by The Holy Spirit)
Mack thought for a moment before answering. "Well, I haven't really thought about that. I guess I would say that something is good when I like it- when it makes me feel good or gives me a sense of security. Conversely, I'd call something evil that causes me pain or costs me something I want."
"So it is pretty subjective then?" (Holy Spirit)
"I guess it is." (Mack)
"And how confident are you in your ability to discern what indeed is good for you, or what is evil?" (Holy Spirit)
____
So now I sit with the thought and question of "How do I define what is good?"
When I figure that out, I guess my "Velveeta" will taste a little different.


Thoughts?

3 comments:

The Sobie said...

God gave us 66 books defining good and evil. It's not at all subjective.

Just sayin'.

Hope that helps!

HA!

ocean mommy said...

Today it is very appropriate that you pop over to my place..this is a great post Linds.

It's easy to think about all the GOOD stuff coming from God, but what I'm really having to accept right now is that everything that occurs in my life has already been filtered through God's hands. Even the hard stuff.....

Anyway..pop in when you can

love you
steph.

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

Oh... I see you're still reading... I guess it would help if I'd start at the most recent post. Ha...

I have thought about this as well and we are so incredibly subjective as we look at the world. We see it through our depraved, sin-prone human eyes. We sit in church and "Amen" when the teacher reads passages about "Judge not, lest ye be judged" and yet we walk right out and do it without thinking. It's so ingrained into our beings and we need to get it out.

But I love how that conversation in the book ended.

So... nice to blog meet you and I look forward to hearing more of what you think on this book.

-Donna