Thursday, October 18, 2007

"GO"

As many of you know, I will have the privilege and honor of traveling to Guatemala in Jan. 08 with a team from our church. This type trip has been something that I have dreamed of for a long time. I have said before, that if God ever said to Hubby "go" (into foreign missions) then I couldn't get my bags packed quick enough.

I have always known that God had placed a calling on my heart for missions. In the past years He has placed a special calling in me for Africa. Specifically dealing on some level with the Genocide in Sudan and the AIDs epedemic. I am not sure how or when but my heart weeps to help. I am brought to tears with the simplest of conversations about Africa. I can't even type without tears swelling.

It is interesting as we prepare for this trip to Guatemala. I find myself sometimes thinking, "HEY God!!! Did you forget how to spell Africa. It is not G-u-a-t-e-m-a-l-a". But then I am quickly reminded that we are call to go into ALL the world, not just one part. I am constantly being stretched and molded by this trip. Having to let go of worries about home, expectations of what I think the trip "should" be, things that I want, and personal issues. Hopefully by the time January comes I will be stripped of my junk and ready to serve, completely.

Last night we had a meeting about this trip. We watched videos and talked about all that is there. It is an interesting emotion that I feel when I look at pictures or videos and hear stories about Guatemala. I am not "astonished" by the poverty, "sicken" by the living conditions, "astounded" that people can live this way,"amazed" "depressed" or "dumbfounded". I looked around the room and saw people who were completely caught off guard by what they saw. But I don't feel any of those things. Maybe it is because that calling on my life came long ago, maybe it is because, as a young child I remember my mom sharing her memories from a trip to the Phillipeans and the poverty that she saw. I don't know. But inside I am SCREAMING, "I GET IT." "I get that people are dying each second." "I get that children are dying from AIDs that their mothers passed on to them." "I get that Americans....specifically christian Americans aren't doing enough." " I GET IT!!!"
BUT WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!!! Eight days in Guatemala is not enough.

God of Justice, Saviour to all
Came to rescue the weak and the poor
Chose to serve and not be served Jesus,
You have called us
Freely we've received
Now freely we will give
We must go live to feed the hungry
Stand beside the broken
We must go
Stepping forward keep us from just singing
Move us into action
We must go
To act justly everyday
Loving mercy in everyway
Walking humbly before You God
You have shown us, what You require
Freely we've received
Now freely we will give

Fill us up and send us out
Fill us up and send us out
Fill us up and send us out Lord



What will I do to to follow the command "Go". What will you do where will you go? Is God calling you to Africa, China, your back yard?

God I pray that over the next months that you will break all of our hearts so that we may see that 8 days is not enough. Thank you for sending me to Africa through Guatemala. I know that one day I will go. You have called us to take care of the widows and the orphans, but we have refused. FORGIVE US!! Forgive us for not opening our homes, and our heart to those who need us. God, please "Fill us up and send us out".


1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

You've put your "yes" on the altar. I'm quite sure God will use the trip in Jan. to just confirm this passion you have. I believe one day, you'll experience a trip to Africa. :)

Praying for you and the team as you prepare.

love you!
steph.