Sunday, October 21, 2007

Meekness

Do you know the true meaning of the word? I think I thought I knew the meaning. When I imagine the word meek, a lamb comes to mind. When I think of a lamb I think of something calm, snugly, easily eaten. (sorry)


None of these are characteristics (calm, snugly, easily eaten) that I would say are me. But then I opened my devotion this morning and it was about meekness, and my understanding of this word was challenged. The definition of the word is: Showing patience and humility; gentle.

And if I were humble, I would openly admit that none of these characteristics are me either. (But I am prideful and don't want to admit that) I am definitely NOT patient or gentle. As I read scripture I was amazed at how much humility and meekness are used.

Col. 3:12 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.


Zephaniah 2:3 Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered on the day of the LORD's anger.


Matthew 11:28-29 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls


I always saw meekness as weakness. I think I even saw an element of "weakness" in the suffering of The Lamb of God. I felt like Christ being "weak" was part of the ultimate sacrifice. I have always had in my head that if Christ wanted to come down of that cross He could have. He would have just chosen to be strong and step down. I don't think I have ever looked at it with eyes to see the strength it took him to stay up there. His meekness, His gentleness, His humility WAS His strength.


HMMM..... brings a whole new perspective about being strong willed.


I must say that I am definitely a fighter. I use the term "passionate" when I describe one of my 10 year olds, who is also very strong willed. Definition of passionate: capable of, affected by, or expressing intense feeling .

So my question is can we be both? Can we be meek and passionate? I am not sure of that answer but I do know this.... I was born strong willed and meekness is a choice. So only with God's help can I be the meek person that I He is calling me to be. To me meekness means: Not fighting back, keeping my mouth shut, and completely forgiving people. Not having to be right or first or the best at everything. Just serving. Christ washed the feet of the one He KNEW would betray Him. He broke bread and shared His table with the man who would stab Him in the back and lead to His crucifixion.

God help me to be meek. Help me to be passionate about the things that are glorifying to you. Help me to fight for YOUR causes and YOUR agenda. Help me to not fight back, to not sulk, and to not carry a chip. May the cross always remind me of your ultimate example of strength and meekness innertwind. Forgive me when I am arrogantly strong willed. Help me to choose to be humble and meek.




2 comments:

Steven Latham said...

You're a great example of meekness to me because I know how passionate and strong you can be. I would do well to follow your example more.

It's really neat how you contrasted the two qualities, one being innate and the other being learned or practiced.

ocean mommy said...

I love how God is showing you new and life changing things right now. He is using you even during the tough times to point others to Him.