Monday, August 11, 2008

Two steps forward, one small step back

Wednesday was my 2 HUGE steps forward. By having the colon resection I definitely feel as if it was a proactive step in the right direction. My doctor said lets do this now, while your healthy. Hoping to give me the best chance at a quick recovery and a long remission.

My surgery went great. He ended up removing about 4-5 inches of my small intestines and about the same of my large intestines. So all in all it was about 10 inches. When most "normal" adults have about 25 Feet. 10 inches doesn't sound so big. I was able to come home from the hospital on Saturday. I was a little stir crazy on Saturday. Not with the hospital or my house, but with my body. I just couldn't get comfortable. Sitting was bad, laying was bad, standing was tiresome, walking hurt, a shower felt good (but there is only so long you can be in the shower), so I took some pills and finally rested. Sunday was good. I felt better and stronger. I was able to comfortably sit around and BE.
Ok, for me to just BE.....isn't possible. I ended up (with my big girls help) organizing our home school. And of course, I ended up over doing it. So there is my "small step back". Today I have spent most of my day in my bed. I woke up this morning hurting pretty badly. It is a weird sensation to NOT hurt where you have visible incisions. I hurt on the inside at the resection spot.
So I guess I need to take it one step at a time. I am anxious to get going and get back to normal.

I can't say thank you enough for all of the prayers that everyone said. I know that with the success of the surgery and short hospital stay, God has answered them all. He is so good and faithful to give us what we need.
Notice I say need. This is a huge lesson that I am continually being taught right now.
If I got what I wanted right now, that would be: to go eat a big honkin' plate of spicy Mexican food with never ending Coke and fantastic salsa.
But what I need is to be able to be with my family and to be on the road to recovery. With each step I take out of my bed or down a hallway, I am thankful that I am able to do so. I have feeling that I might forget about God for 5.2 seconds if I had a chimichanga in front of me. (I suppose that why God doesn't always give us our wants.)

1 comment:

Jenny said...

SO thankful to hear you are home and for the most part doing good! Take it easy girl...your body is recovering from major surgery! Enjoy some time for just YOU!