Monday, August 31, 2009

Family Night -"Family"

When I am asked about the reason behind family night my answer is simple- Intentional Time Together. I recently had a conversation with Hubby about the amount of time we have, or we don't have. We talked about the hectic pace our family is running at right now. (And I have to say....It is a fun pace!) We love all that is going on around us right now. We love all that is happening at church and in our lives. God is so good. And He is SO faithful. All that we prayed for a year ago and so much more has now been dumped on our heads. :-) Great friends, great church, great small group, great ministries, etc, etc and if we aren't careful and intentional we are going to blink and we will have missed so much. One thing that I REFUSE to "miss" is family time. I can't control the freak speed of things that are going on around our lives, but I can control the speed in my house.

This family night was about FAMILY.

We painted family pictures with finger paint. (ok parents when was the last time YOU painted with finger paint?)


And then the big girls, me, and Hubby all sat down for the second part of the night. We sent the little guys to bed and then big people in the family (which now includes B and S :-O ) sat down for some goal setting. We thought that if we are REALLY going to be intentional then we need some goals. So we set out on a mission to set some personal goals and family goals. Hubby and I did it right along with the girls. My goals included anything from getting volunteering locally to giving up Mt. Dew :-(. BUT.....

I won't lie. Setting goals was VERY difficult for the girls. I don't know if it was because we have never done it before, because they are 12 and full of emotion, if PMS was visiting, heck it could have been because something I did a month ago. I don't know???? But after a bit of struggle, a couple of shed tears, some stomping off, and growling at me......we accomplished the task at hand. We have family goals set for anything from a day trip to DC to organizing family devotion time.


All in all it was a great night. Next step will be for hubby and I to talk through all of the goals and prioritize them. We may even cut a couple, considering one of them included getting a dog.
But one thing is for sure we will be working together to accomplish things as a family. God gave us our family and we intend to use it to point to him. Forgetting, neglecting, ignoring each other will NOT accomplish that.

God we pray that our goals always match your plans for our lives. We pray that you will guide us and give us wisdom as we live for you and guide our family to do the same. Thank you for the gift of family that you have given us. I pray that we NEVER take it for granted.

Jeremiah 29:11-12

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen.


L
Posted by Picasa

No comments: