Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Turkey Day4

Short Day today. (As far as with the kids) We spent the morning at the conference and then the afternoon was out sightseeing.

One of my favorites for the morning was little Maggie Prayed," Dear God, thank you for EVERYTHING! Thank you that I'm gonna get bigger and go in the big class (AKA:where the adults/parents were) and I don't have to be in the little class anymore. Amen."
~What am I supposed to say to that.....apparently we have a way with children.~
After lunch and a couple of downloads from the guys (sorry for the bathroom humor)..... We headed off to Ankara to enjoy an afternoon out. We drove into town....well actually... Nat drove, honked, flashed lights and waved at people, all the way to into downtown. I must say that my prayer life was refreshed after that little adventure. We went to a mosque. It was huge. Compare it to the National Cathedral. The huge, beautiful building with amazing architecture, paintings, hand made rugs, chandelier made of gold, etc. etc. It is in the capitol city of Ankara, at the center of the city. It was obvious that it was a land mark that the city was very proud of. A symbol of the culture and sadly a symbol of the heart of the city. Big, beautiful, and empty.
We went into a mall/market to SHOP!! YAY!!! I love to shop. We wondered around and got some neat little things and then Ame had to pee....AGAIN.....
*side note* Ame has a bladder the size of a pea. (no pun intended) She has to pee every 10-15 minutes (slightly exaggerated....she has to pee every 16-20 minutes) She definitely could have made good use of a "go- girl". In fact a "go- girl" was a constant joke while we were there. My only regret is that we didn't buy any. Next time....Next time.

~Sorry back to my story~
So Ame had to pee again and Abbi graciously showed her the restrooms (Granted we could smell them a mile away) and then she showed her where to pay! Yep. You had to pay. Now this good ole southern girl has never had to pay to go pee. But if I did pay to pee I would expect some grand and glorious experience. Like someone to powder and fluff my butt afterwards. Or gold plated seats that are sprinkled with pixie dust. But NO these were squatty potties. No glory. Nothing grand. Just squat.
Thank God I held my pee! :-)

After that we went to a castle. Talk about a room with a view! It was amazing. While we were on top the call to prayer went out. It was amazing to stand up there looking out over this incredible city and hear this. It is a sound I will never forget (I pray). A sound to remind us to pray...for the Turkish people.
After leaving there we walked down and did more shopping :-) Bags,socks, and scarves. It was fantastic!
From there we went to eat some dinner. We had the best Kebobs. (not to be confused with Kabobs. Kabobs are Americans bad attempt to create something that tastes as good as a Kebob :-)
Then Abbi had to pick up some that was "just down a hill" from the restaurant. I think (even though she speaks English) "just down the hill" means something different in
Turkey :-). In our search we had some great conversation (ok in between huffing and puffing but it was still great conversation) Today I saw real life in Turkey. I also learned that Abby definitely fits my profile of a lifelong friend:
-Out of town
-Funny
-Someone who "gets me"
(My lifelong friends are a short list of people that God has placed at different points in my life at just the right time. I guess we have moved enough that all of those friends now are out of town. :-)

After many laughs, some ice cream and a prayerful ride home (thanks Nat)...It is bedtime.


İyi uykular

No comments: