Monday, August 10, 2009

Turkey Day3


Today has been a neat day. Full of building new relationships. Some of the High Schoolers (Sara and Tim) were teaching some of our guys (Mike and Chunky) some Turkish. Mike wanted to know how to say good morning. So they graciously (note the sarcasm) gave him a lesson. Except the words that they taught him meant "My feet stink". It was great for a laugh.

Mike and Chucky have been so neat about wanting to embrace the culture. Every time we go to order food somewhere Chucky always says ,"I want whatever is the most Turkish." Now some might call this brave, others might call it stupid. But one thing I can say is he is willing. Examples of things he ate/drank: Ayran ~ şalgam ~ and our FAVORITE Pide

Tonight we has an amazing conversation with a worker here. He shared his story over a cup of Turkish coffee. We were told there is a saying,"A single cup of Turkish coffee will be remembered for 40 years." There were many amazing things that he said (too many to ever write out). The one that stands out the most to me is: What are you willing to do for the cause of Christ? What would you be willing to do to win 1 person to Jesus?
I think it is easy to say, "Of course I would do ANYTHING." But we all know that isn't true. But Jesus was willing to do anything.
Tonight we have been challenged in a way that I pray I never forget. I pray that I never loose sight of Brad's passion and love for his country, his family, and God.

Tonight I also got to talk to all 4 of my babies. I miss them so much. My heart sighed relief when I got to talk to them. But being here makes me see how engulfed in MY life I am. God please keep moving and changing my heart. Stretching me so that I see no boundaries and no walls.

Good Night Turkey.

~L

No comments: