Sunday, August 2, 2009

Turkey Day2

Day 2

Feeling a little better today. Not near as tired as yesterday. I slept like a baby last night (thanks to exhaustion and Ambian :-) After eating lunch together as a team we geared up to meet our kids.
PDF (Pastor Daniel Floyd) and I are working with birth-6year olds. We have been told that there is a "children's" room. Anything will be better than a lobby, a the edge of a pool, a hotel room, etc. So I was a little excited! We discovered that our room is WAY down stairs, around a corner, through locker rooms, down a dark hallway, and TA-DA there sat kids room. Though a little out of the way it was perfect. (Maybe the Turkish people have something figured out about putting kids that far away from everyone else.)

After meeting our kids, we dove right into playing games.
We even resorted to placing stickers on our heads. We called them "Happy" stickers because they make you HAPPY when you put them on.



See how it made this child happy :-)


After lots of fun and lots of stickers we headed outside to play and do our story time. PDF sat and told a bible story about Jesus healing. One theme of the week was "I believe that Jesus can do anything." It was incredible to see the kids really latch on to the theme. I pray that God will use this week to build a foundation of faith in these little people lives.
Funny Moments for the day
*PDF played a game outside with the kids called the "see who blinks first game" the looser had to stand on his head.

Turkish custom is TEA. And it is everywhere. They drink tea before dinner and after dinner. I am not a huge Tea fan. In fact I don't like it. I decided that if it would be rude to NOT drink tea then I would drink tea (after all...when in Turkey). But we discovered that Chucky, loves tea. I am not sure if he loves tea in general or Turkish tea. I think that by the end of the day he has had at least 15+ cups.

The other funny moment of the day was a Turkish hotel employee was crazy about a dog puppet I have. It looks like a sheep dog, and to the unknowing it kind of looks real. He ended up coming to me and "trying" to ask if he could take it to scare a fellow employee. The FUNNY part was me (The Tennessean that I am) trying to communicate back and forth to a non-English speaking Turk about the puppet.
_____
A great day! The kids are incredible. But I have found that they are just like ours (I am not sure what I expected though). They love to play, love to laugh, and love to sing. The only difference is that sometimes they get there English and Turkish mixed up.
The families that we have the honor of working with are amazing. In different ways some of them give a unique taste of home. It is amazing to hear the different stories and roads that they have travel to get to Turkey. I can't wait to hear others.

Until tomorrow.

No comments: