Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day 13- Friday

Thankful for the little things. I feel a little silly when I talk about the little things that I am so thankful for. But it is days like this when it is "the little things" that help me make it through. Friday we were trying to come to a stopping point with all of our school work, since we will not school next week. Thanksgiving week is one of those times that we all can step back and take a breath without the worry of school. It is nice. So as we pressed on trying to get to that stopping point, we deffinately hit some rough patches. Needless to say by the end of our school day, I was not the favorite person in the room.
One of my little twins loves her paci, so yesterday I decided that maybe we should move in the direction of limitations. I told her that she could ONLY have it at nap time and bed time. (We have tried this before, but I usually loose this battle) This day I had my worrier garb on and I was ready for the fight. I also decided that we would limit juice intake to ONLY meals, all other drinks would be water or milk (We have tried this before, but this too was a battle lost.) But today would be different. I was going to win or die trying.
The day went on with whining and temper tantrums. Both about juice and the beloved paci. I successfully held fast in my decision. They only got a paci at nap time and juice at meals. Little Bear had 2 cups of milk and Patel 2 cups of water so they were doing great. As the evening wore on, I wore down. I was VERY PMSeeeeee, irritable, snippy, hungry, etc. So by about 6:30 I was done! I went and found blankets and pacis and turned on Barney. (They were not even asking for them. They were just running wild through my house. And I couldn't take it anymore)
TADA!!!!! Just like magic. It was silent in my house. They were happily sucking pacis, holding blankets, and watching the Purple dinosaur. And the house was finally still. I could finally stop fighting the battle.

Though I am not sure who won on this day. I am sure of this...... I am thankful for Barney and pacifiers. When I think about it, I guess I am also thankful for the noisy, wild, fight filled day. Because without it the Peace that came later would have felt so divine.

God thank you for being the God of peace. Thank you for each wonderful personality that each of my children have. Thank you for giving me a peaceful home last night. Thank you for giving me strength to endure days like this, that come and always go.

2 comments:

brenna said...

warrior garb.... is that what you call it?? :-)

ocean mommy said...

Everybody I know with little ones is going through this! Megan took Mia and Morgan's "p's" away Thursday, so far they are doing great. All these stories make me so glad we are past the baby stage!! I love babies, but I LOVE the ages we are in now. Don't think I could go back to diapers!!!