Monday, November 19, 2007

Day 15-Sunday

Sunday's at our house are always long. We have an early morning that usually doesn't stop until late that evening. Yesterday was no exception. The highlight of my day was our small group. We have a group that is meeting together right now every other week. It is a small small group, but I love that. We are studying 5 Love Languages. Hubby and I read it before we got married, but it is great to go over it again. Last night we talked about "Words of Affirmation". It was kind of a quiet evening and no one was really chatty about this topic. We all admitted that none of us thought that this was our primary "love language". But we all recognized the power of the spoken word. And just how nice it is for someone to tell you soemthing that is affirming.
In church yesterday morning the topic was gratitude. Being grateful to God for all that he gives us. Not only being grateful, but telling God about those things.
As I think back on my yesterday I realize that God is laying out a theme for me.
Speaking my Gratitude.
I am a very thankful person, I don't feel like I struggle with "being thankful". But telling people that I am thankful for all that they do is sometimes something that I forget. I also am typically a pessimist, so I tend to see the negative around me and miss the positive. I wonder how much of that comes across as ungratefulness. I realize that every one's love language is not Words of Affirmation. But expressing my gratitude should not be dictated by someones need to be affirmed. Expressing my gratitude should be dictated by my love for Christ. Everything else should be an overflow of my heart. And sometimes when you can not find the words to say, your arms around someone can say it for you.




God thank you for showing me that it is not enough to just "be thankful". I need to express it. Thank you for allowing me two different opportunities yesterday to be taught. Please help me to love people without consideration for anything other than You. Help me to love without boundaries. Without fear. Without distraction. God, thank you for the abundance of so much that you provide each day. God please grant us a peaceful home today, and a home that only points people to you.

1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

This makes me think of a man that was at the first church my Dad pastored. He was a talker but never had anything good to say. He told us one time he didn't need to tell his wife he loved her, she should know it since he kept coming home. Oh, he was a keeper wasn't he. :)

Words are precious, we should choose them wisely and be quick to speak gratitude and slow to speak anything else. A lesson I'm still learning, often times the hard way. :(